Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Preschool Lessons - The Big Lesson

We had a tough time last Friday with my preschooler, Clay. He had to learn one of the toughest preschool lessons there is: irreversible consequences. He got sent to the "principal's office" (the director of his preschool) for pushing another kid. When his father picked him up, Clay was told that he wouldn't get dessert that night. Later, at snack time, Dad was gone and I was in charge. Of course, I didn't know about the no dessert punishment. At dinner, when we were talking about our day, Clay let it slip that he had been to the principal's office. Red flag. I asked why he had been there, and he lied that he was sent there to talk about the A-B-Cs. Transgression #2. Once I learned that Clay was supposed to be on punishment, and that he had lied to me, I told Clay his new punishment was going to have to be even bigger than the first one.

The biggest part of every week for Clay is Friday night movie night. Last Friday, for the first time ever, Clay missed Friday night movie night. He was horrified. He cried for hours. Finally, he realized the gravity of what he had done. And this week, his behavior, at school and at home, has been much better.

I can't stress enough the importance of consequences and consistency. It doesn't have to mean corporal punishment, but if you make the threat, be sure to see it through.

Gosh. I hope I don't sound like a meanie. I'm really not! Tomorrow I'll have to write about something cheery.

Ta, ta...

No comments: